Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Home Water Birth with Baby H


Every birth I have ever been at has been a unique experience. I was thrilled to be invited to the birth of this family's third child. An evening call; a rainy drive to the corner of the state; an adventure to a warm home, full of love, welcoming a baby boy. I somehow squeezed my huge pregnant self into the bathroom to witness this birth, surrounded by a joyful crew.


Here is mama just before birthing, giving the wide eyed sister a kiss.


The birth pool, abandoned for the bathroom tub with the baby making a speedy appearance...

























This quote from the Red Tent by Anita Diamant describes this moment between mother and baby so eloquently:

"There should be a song for women to sing at this moment, or a prayer to recite. But perhaps there is none because there are no words strong enough to name that moment. Like every mother since the first mother, I was overcome and bereft, exalted and ravaged. I had crossed over from girlhood I beheld myself as an infant in my mother's arms, and caught a glimpse of my own death. I wept without knowing whether I rejoiced or mourned. My mothers and their mothers were with me as I held my baby." 



No comments:

Post a Comment